thumbnail

Organochlorine pesticide and polychlorinated biphenyl residues in selected fauna from a New Jersey salt marsh--1967 vs. 1973

Pesticides Monitoring Journal

By:
and

Links

Abstract

More than a half million pounds of DDT were applied to control mosquitoes in salt marsh estuaries of Cape May County, New Jersey, from 1946 to 1966. The use of DDT was discontinued in the County after 1966. In 1967, mean concentrations of DDT and metabolites ranged from 0.63 to 9.05 ppm in aquatic fauna, but by 1973 mean residue levels had decreased 84 to 99 percent among nine species. DDE was still present at reduced levels in nearly all samples in 1973, but other DDT isomers had mostly disappeared. Dieldrin was detected only in clapper rails, and residue levels decreased during the period. Mean concentrations of PCB's increased in the clapper rail, remained the same in the fiddler crab and mud snail, and decreased in the sheepshead minnow, mummichog, striped killifish, and salt marsh snail. Small amounts of mirex, toxaphene, cis-chlordane (and/or trans-nonachlor), oxychlordane, and HCB were detected in a few specimens.

Additional Publication Details

Publication type:
Article
Publication Subtype:
Journal Article
Title:
Organochlorine pesticide and polychlorinated biphenyl residues in selected fauna from a New Jersey salt marsh--1967 vs. 1973
Series title:
Pesticides Monitoring Journal
Volume
10
Issue:
4
Year Published:
1977
Language:
English
Contributing office(s):
Patuxent Wildlife Research Center
Description:
149-158
Larger Work Type:
Article
Larger Work Subtype:
Journal Article
Larger Work Title:
Pesticides Monitoring Journal
First page:
149
Last page:
158