thumbnail

Magnesium compounds

Mining Engineering

By:

Links

  • The Publications Warehouse does not have links to digital versions of this publication at this time
  • Download citation as: RIS

Abstract

Seawater and natural brines accounted for about 52 percent of U.S. magnesium compounds production in 2006. Dead-burned magnesia was produced by Martin Marietta Magnesia Specialties from well brines in Michigan. Caustic-calcined magnesia was recovered from sea-water by Premier Chemicals in Florida; from well brines in Michigan by Martin Marietta and Rohm and Haas; and from magnesite in Nevada by Premier Chemicals. Intrepid Potash-Wendover and Great Salt Lake Minerals recovered magnesium chloride brines from the Great Salt Lake in Utah. Magnesium hydroxide was produced from brucite by Applied Chemical Magnesias in Texas, from seawater by SPI Pharma in Delaware and Premier Chemicals in Florida, and by Martin Marietta and Rohm and Haas from their operations mentioned above. About 59 percent of the magnesium compounds consumed in the United States was used for refractories that are used mainly to line steelmaking furnaces. The remaining 41 percent was consumed in agricultural, chemical, construction, environmental and industrial applications.

Additional Publication Details

Publication type:
Article
Publication Subtype:
Journal Article
Title:
Magnesium compounds
Series title:
Mining Engineering
Volume
59
Issue:
6
Year Published:
2007
Language:
English
Publisher:
SME
Contributing office(s):
National Minerals Information Center
Description:
2 p.
Larger Work Type:
Article
Larger Work Subtype:
Journal Article
Larger Work Title:
Mining Engineering
First page:
43
Last page:
44