Summary of 2012 reconnaissance field studies related to the petroleum geology of the Nenana Basin, interior Alaska
Alaska Division of Geological & Geophysical Surveys Preliminary Interpretive Report 2013-2
- Marwan A. Wartes, Robert J. Gillis, Trystan M. Herriott, Richard G. Stanley, Kenneth P. Helmold, C. Shaun Peterson, and Jeffrey A. Benowitz
The Alaska Division of Geological & Geophysical Surveys (DGGS) recently initiated a multi-year review of the hydrocarbon potential of frontier sedimentary basins in Alaska (Swenson and others, 2012). In collaboration with the Alaska Division of Oil & Gas and the U.S. Geological Survey we conducted reconnaissance field studies in two basins with recognized natural gas potential—the Susitna basin and the Nenana basin (LePain and others, 2012). This paper summarizes our initial work on the Nenana basin; a brief summary of our work in the Susitna basin can be found in Gillis and others (in press).
During early May 2012, we conducted ten days of helicopter-supported fieldwork and reconnaissance sampling along the northern Alaska Range foothills and Yukon–Tanana upland near Fairbanks (fig. 1). The goal of this work was to improve our understanding of the geologic development of the Nenana basin and to collect a suite of samples to better evaluate hydrocarbon potential. Most laboratory analyses have not yet been completed, so this preliminary report serves as a summary of field data and sets the framework for future, more comprehensive analysis to be presented in later publications.
Additional Publication Details
- Publication type:
- Publication Subtype:
- Other Government Series
- Summary of 2012 reconnaissance field studies related to the petroleum geology of the Nenana Basin, interior Alaska
- Series title:
- Alaska Division of Geological & Geophysical Surveys Preliminary Interpretive Report
- Series number:
- Year Published:
- Alaska Division of Geological and Geophysical Surveys
- Publisher location:
- Fairbanks, AK
- Contributing office(s):
- Geology, Minerals, Energy and Geophysics Science Center
- 13 p.
- United States
- Other Geospatial:
- Nenana Basin