The United States Geological Survey is currently investigating the ground-water resources of Connecticut in cooperation with the State Water Commission. As part of this cooperative project, in order to summarize the knowledge already gained about ground water in the State, a bibliography of reports dealing with ground water in Connecticut has been prepared. A compilation entitled "Bibliography and index of publications relating to ground water prepared by the Geological Survey and cooperating agencies", by G. A. Waring and O. E. Neinzer, was issued as U.S. Geological Survey Water-Supply Paper 992 in 1947. The following compilation lists all the papers in Water-Supply Paper 992 that refer to Connecticut plus other short reports not included in the letter.
The first studies of ground water in Connecticut were begun in 1903 by Professor H. E. Gregory of Yale University under the auspices of the U.S. Geological Survey. The early studies were of the reconnaissance type, covering large sections of the State, and were concerned mainly with the relation of the bedrock geology to the water supply. The results were published in several Water-Supply Papers of the Geological Survey. In 1911 a cooperative agreement for the study of the ground-water resources of Connecticut in which each party shared equally in the expenses was made between the Federal Survey and the Connecticut State Geological and Natural History Survey. As a result more detailed studies in smaller areas were undertaken. Active field work covering more than half the State was continued through 1923 under this arrangement and the results published in eight U.S. Geological Survey Water-Supply Papers.
After an eleven year period of inactivity and with the inauguration of the Federal Emergency Relief Commission, detailed studies of ground water in Connecticut were begun again in October 1934 as a project of the Emergency Relief Commission (later the Works Progress Administration). The project was sponsored by the Connecticut State Water Commission, the State Planning Board, and the U.S. Geological Survey. The technical direction of the work was undertaken by the Geological Survey. The project consisted of an inventory and mapping of wells and springs in the State by towns and the recording of weekly observations of water levels in selected wells. The data collected through October 1939 were published in six mimeographed bulletins and one typewritten bulletin by the Works Program Administration.
In 1939, when it became necessary to curtail the work being carried on by the Works Progress Administration, cooperation was arranged between the Federal Ecological Survey and the State Water Commission to continue investigations relative to the over-development of ground-water supplies in the New Haven area. From time to time additional funds have been made available to meet growing demands by the State for data on its ground-water supplied and the present cooperative program between the U.S. Geological Survey and the State Water Commission is a continuation of the original arrangement. It is estimated that about 14 per cont of the State has been covered by recent ground-water surveys and in addition some data are available for another 20 per cent of he State.