This memorandum summarizes briefly the data obtained by test drilling and in an aquifer test at Mount Airy, Md. The tests were a part of the State - Federal cooperative study of the ground-water resources of Frederick County, and it is intended that a more complete analysis of the test data will be included in a future report describing the ground-water resource of Frederick County. The purpose of this memorandum is to make the test data immediately available to the general public.
Mount Airy is located along the Carroll-Frederick County boundary bout 2 miles north of the intersection of U.S. Highway 40 with the county boundary. Its population is approximately 1,000. The municipal well field, consisting of two drilled wells (fig. 1) is in a valley about one-half mile west of the center of Mount Airy, within about 400 feet of a small stream, and north of Prospect Road. Well 1, about 40 feet north of Prospect Road, is 125 feet deep, 8 inches in diameter, and reportedly yielded 265 gallons per minute (gpm) in 1947 and 201 gpm in a half hour test in March 1955. The writer determined during the tests described in this memorandum that the well has about 34 feet of casing. Well 2, 85 feet north of well 1, is 96 feet deep, 8 inches in diameter, and reportedly yielded 120 gpm in 1947 and 127 gpm in a half hour test in March 1955. The wells are equipped with deep-well turbine pumps powered by electric motors. Cenorally only well 1 is used, and it is pumped for only a few short intervals each day to meet the water requirements of the town (about 75,000 - 80,000 gallons daily). The reported yields of these wells are considerably higher than the average for crystalline-rock wells in the Piedmont of Maryland.
The test drilling was done under contract with Edward I. Brown, well driller, between May 3 and May 12, 1955. Water-supply facilities of the town of Mount Airy were kindly made available for the aquifer tests from May 22 to May 30, 1955.
The pumping tests consisted of a step-drawdown and interference test on the public-supply wells on May 30, 1955, and aquifer test in which public-supply well 1 was pumped constantly for 48 hours and the effect of this pumpage was measured in all the wells and test holes on May 23-25.