thumbnail

Computer modeling of ground-water availability in the Pootatuck River Valley, Newtown, Connecticut

Water-Resources Investigations Report 78-77

By:
and

Links

Abstract

A hydrologic analysis of the stratified drift in Newtown, Conn., based on available data, test drilling, seismic refraction profiling, and the stream-aquifer connection was performed using a digital computer model. Simulated pumping indicates that a total of 4.0 million gallons of water per day (Mgal/d) can be withdrawn from the stream-aquifer system. A minimum of 2.5 Mgal/d is available for future development since Fairfield Hills Hospital is capable of withdrawing 1.5 Mgal/d. Induced recharge from the Pootatuck River supplies 65 percent, or 2.6 Mgal/d of the total pumpage, and captured ground-water outflow supplies the remaining 35 percent of 1.4 Mgal/d. The predicted yields are for long-term average hydrologic conditions; usually dry or extended drought periods would significantly reduce the water available from the aquifer. The quality of surface water in the valley as shown by seven samples from five sites, meets the Connecticut standards for public drinking water except for excessive coliform bacteria. Ground-water quality also meets these standards, as indicated by analyses of 20 samples from 14 wells and 1 spring, but high manganese (up to 15 mg/L) and iron (up to 1.7 mg/L) would require treatment prior to use. Trace metals from one surface-water and four ground-water samples are also within these standards, except for the high cadmium concentration of 26 micrograms per liter in water from one well. (Woodard-USGS)

Additional Publication Details

Publication type:
Report
Publication Subtype:
USGS Numbered Series
Title:
Computer modeling of ground-water availability in the Pootatuck River Valley, Newtown, Connecticut
Series title:
Water-Resources Investigations Report
Series number:
78-77
Edition:
-
Year Published:
1978
Language:
ENGLISH
Publisher:
U.S. Geological Survey, Water Resources Division,
Description:
xi, 64 p. :ill., maps ;26 cm.