thumbnail

Water levels in Nassau County Sewer Districts 2 and 3, Long Island, New York, 1978-79

Water-Resources Investigations Report 82-4017

By:
,

Links

Abstract

Prior to development on Long Island, about 95 percent of total streamflow originated as groundwater seepage from the upper glacial aquifer; the remaining 5 percent consisted of direct storm runoff. Thus, the streams on Long Island function as groundwater drains. Their flow in dry weather is directly controlled by groundwater levels adjacent to the stream channels. Sewage systems in Nassau County have caused a general lowering of groundwater levels, which in turn has severely reduced streamflow. This report presents monthly water-level measurements in 259 wells in Nassau county from 1978-79 to provide a data base to evaluate the need to replace streamflow lost through lowering of the water table. (USGS)

Additional Publication Details

Publication type:
Report
Publication Subtype:
USGS Numbered Series
Title:
Water levels in Nassau County Sewer Districts 2 and 3, Long Island, New York, 1978-79
Series title:
Water-Resources Investigations Report
Series number:
82-4017
Edition:
-
Year Published:
1982
Language:
ENGLISH
Publisher:
U.S. Geological Survey,
Description:
iv, 34 p. :maps ;28 cm.