The changes in the sizes of glaciers has for long attracted the attention of glacialists on account of the scientific interest and the development of water‐power from the streams issuing from the glaciers.
The International Congress of Geologists, at its Zurich meeting in 1894, appointed a committee, with members from many countries, to collect and publish information bearing on this subject. Annual reports were published in the Archives des Sciences, Geneva, from 1896 to 1906, after which they appeared in the Zeitschrift für Gletscherkunde until the war. It was not until the Prague meeting of the International Union of Geodesy and Geophysics in 1927 that a new Commission des Glaciers was appointed, which is about to resume publication.
|Publication Subtype||Journal Article|
|Series title||Eos, Transactions, American Geophysical Union|
|Publisher||American Geophysical Union|
|Google Analytic Metrics||Metrics page|