Surface-water and ground-water quality in the Powell Creek and Armstrong Creek Watersheds, Dauphin County, Pennsylvania, July-September 2001
Fact Sheet 052-03
Prepared in cooperation with the Powells and Armstrong Creeks Watershed Association and the Dauphin County Conservation District
- Daniel G. Galeone and Dennis J. Low
Powell Creek and Armstrong Creek Watersheds are in Dauphin County, north of Harrisburg, Pa. The completion of the Dauphin Bypass Transportation Project in 2001 helped to alleviate traffic congestion from these watersheds to Harrisburg. However, increased development in Powell Creek and Armstrong Creek Watersheds is expected. The purpose of this study was to establish a baseline for future projects in the watersheds so that the effects of land-use changes on water quality can be documented. The Pennsylvania Department of Environmental Protection (PADEP) (2002) indicates that surface water generally is good in the 71 perennial stream miles in the watersheds. PADEP lists 11.1 stream miles within the Armstrong Creek and 3.2 stream miles within the Powell Creek Watersheds as impaired or not meeting water-quality standards. Siltation from agricultural sources and removal of vegetation along stream channels are cited by PADEP as likely factors causing this impairment.
Galeone, D.G., and Low, D.J., 2003, Surface-water and ground-water quality in the Powell Creek and Armstrong Creek Watersheds, Dauphin County, Pennsylvania, July-September 2001: U.S. Geological Survey Fact Sheet 2003–0052, 6 p., https://pubs.er.usgs.gov/publication/fs05203.
ISSN: 2327-6932 (online)
Table of Contents
- Why Study Powell Creek and Armstrong Creek Watersheds?
- What are the Characteristics of the Watersheds?
- How was the Study Conducted?
- What were the Methods Used to Collect Data?
- What are the Results/Findings?
- What Do the Results of the Study Tell Us?
- Where Do We Go From Here?
- References Cited
Additional publication details
- Publication type:
- Publication Subtype:
- USGS Numbered Series
- Surface-water and ground-water quality in the Powell Creek and Armstrong Creek Watersheds, Dauphin County, Pennsylvania, July-September 2001
- Series title:
- Fact Sheet
- Series number:
- Year Published:
- U.S. Geological Survey
- Publisher location:
- Reston, VA
- Contributing office(s):
- Pennsylvania Water Science Center
- 6 p.
- Online Only (Y/N):
- Additional Online Files (Y/N):