Preliminary geologic map of the Elsinore 7.5' Quadrangle, Riverside County, California
Open-File Report 2003-281
Prepared in cooperation with the California Geological Survey
- Douglas M. Morton , F. Harold Weber Jr. , Rachel M. Digital preparation: Alvarez , and Diane Burns
Open-File Report 03-281 contains a digital geologic map database of the Elsinore 7.5’ quadrangle, Riverside County, California that includes:
1. ARC/INFO (Environmental Systems Research Institute, http://www.esri.com) version 7.2.1 coverages of the various elements of the geologic map.
2. A Postscript file to plot the geologic map on a topographic base, and containing a Correlation of Map Units diagram (CMU), a Description of Map Units (DMU), and an index map.
3. Portable Document Format (.pdf) files of:
a. This Readme; includes in Appendix I, data contained in els_met.txt
b. The same graphic as plotted in 2 above. Test plots have not produced precise 1:24,000-scale map sheets. Adobe Acrobat page size setting influences map scale.
The Correlation of Map Units and Description of Map Units is in the editorial format of USGS Geologic Investigations Series (I-series) maps but has not been edited to comply with I-map standards. Within the geologic map data package, map units are identified by standard geologic map criteria such as formation-name, age, and lithology. Where known, grain size is indicated on the map by a subscripted letter or letters following the unit symbols as follows: lg, large boulders; b, boulder; g, gravel; a, arenaceous; s, silt; c, clay; e.g. Qyfa is a predominantly young alluvial fan deposit that is arenaceous. Multiple letters are used for more specific identification or for mixed units, e.g., Qfysa is a silty sand. In some cases, mixed units are indicated by a compound symbol; e.g., Qyf2sc. Even though this is an Open-File Report and includes the standard USGS Open-File disclaimer, the report closely adheres to the stratigraphic nomenclature of the U.S. Geological Survey. Descriptions of units can be obtained by viewing or plotting the .pdf file (3b above) or plotting the postscript file (2 above).
Additional publication details
- Publication type:
- Publication Subtype:
- USGS Numbered Series
- Preliminary geologic map of the Elsinore 7.5' Quadrangle, Riverside County, California
- Series title:
- Open-File Report
- Series number:
- Version 1.0
- Year Published:
- U.S. Geological Survey
- Publisher location:
- Reston, VA
- Contributing office(s):
- Geology, Minerals, Energy and Geophysics Science Center
- Readme: PDF, 18 p.; Readme: TXT; Metadata; Database; Map: PDF, 45.50 x 31.56 inches; Map: PS.GZ
- United States
- Riverside County
- Other Geospatial:
- Polyconic projection