Petroleum system modeling of the western Canada sedimentary basin - isopach grid files
Open-File Report 2005-1421
- Debra K. Higley, Mitchell E. Henry, and Laura N.R. Roberts
This publication contains zmap-format grid files of isopach intervals that represent strata associated with Devonian to Holocene petroleum systems of the Western Canada Sedimentary Basin (WCSB) of Alberta, British Columbia, and Saskatchewan, Canada. Also included is one grid file that represents elevations relative to sea level of the top of the Lower Cretaceous Mannville Group. Vertical and lateral scales are in meters. The age range represented by the stratigraphic intervals comprising the grid files is 373 million years ago (Ma) to present day. File names, age ranges, formation intervals, and primary petroleum system elements are listed in table 1.
Metadata associated with this publication includes information on the study area and the zmap-format files. The digital files listed in table 1 were compiled as part of the Petroleum Processes Research Project being conducted by the Central Energy Resources Team of the U.S. Geological Survey, which focuses on modeling petroleum generation, 3 migration, and accumulation through time for petroleum systems of the WCSB. Primary purposes of the WCSB study are to
- Construct the 1-D/2-D/3-D petroleum system models of the WCSB. Actual boundaries of the study area are documented within the metadata; excluded are northern Alberta and eastern Saskatchewan, but fringing areas of the United States are included.
- Publish results of the research and the grid files generated for use in the 3-D model of the WCSB.
- Evaluate the use of petroleum system modeling in assessing undiscovered oil and gas resources for geologic provinces across the World.
Additional publication details
- Publication type:
- Publication Subtype:
- USGS Numbered Series
- Petroleum system modeling of the western Canada sedimentary basin - isopach grid files
- Series title:
- Open-File Report
- Series number:
- Online only, Version 1.0
- Year Published:
- U.S. Geological Survey
- 8 p.
- Online Only (Y/N):