Results of a Survey of Residential Home Heating Fuel and Stove Type and Use in the Shiprock Area of the Navajo Nation
Open-File Report 2008-1249
- Joseph E. Bunnell and Linda V. Garcia
- More information: USGS Index Page (html)
- Document: Document (64 KB pdf)
- Companion Files:
- Navajo stove fuel type survey Table 1. Tabulated responses to the survey instrument for all 137 participants.
- Navajo stove type use survey key codes Table 2. Explanations of coded responses presented in Table 1.
- Download citation as: RIS | Dublin Core
For many Navajo people, coal provides an affordable and convenient means of home heating. However, coal combustion results in the formation and mobilization of materials that are known risk factors for respiratory and other diseases. The level of respiratory morbidity among the Navajo people is higher than can be explained by usual epidemiological risk factors. The Shiprock area of the Navajo Nation is somewhat unique in that atmospheric thermal inversions trap air pollution low to the ground, especially in winter. There are two large mine mouth coal-fired power plants located in the vicinity, with a third plant in the planning stages. Both of the existing power plants are exempt from regulation under the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency 1990 Amendments to the Clean Air Act due to their age. The purpose of this survey was to assess the fuel and stove type and use, and document other household characteristics that might be related to the exposure of potentially toxic coal combustion products. A total of 137 surveys was conducted in English and Navajo to ascertain and document fuel usage and the type, size and conditions of heating stoves used in both traditional and modern homes. Results have been presented to the community at the Shiprock Chapter in the Navajo language. To increase public awareness, ways to properly use and store coal and to improve stove function and ventilation were also shared.
Additional publication details
- Publication type:
- Publication Subtype:
- USGS Numbered Series
- Results of a Survey of Residential Home Heating Fuel and Stove Type and Use in the Shiprock Area of the Navajo Nation
- Series title:
- Open-File Report
- Series number:
- Year Published:
- Geological Survey (U.S.)
- iii, 3 p.
- Online Only (Y/N):
- Additional Online Files (Y/N):