Agricultural irrigated land-use inventory for Osceola County, Florida, October 2013-April 2014

Open-File Report 2014-1257
Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services
By:  and 

Links

Abstract

A detailed inventory of irrigated crop acreage is not available at the level of resolution needed to increase the accuracy of current water-use estimates or to project future water demands in many Florida counties. This report provides a detailed digital map and summary of irrigated areas within Osceola County for the agricultural growing period October 2013–April 2014. The irrigated areas were first delineated using land-use data and satellite imagery and then field verified between February and April 2014. Selected attribute data were collected for the irrigated areas, including crop type, primary water source, and type of irrigation system. Results indicate that an estimated 27,450 acres were irrigated during the study period. This includes 4,370 acres of vegetables, 10,970 acres of orchard crops, 1,620 acres of field crops, and 10,490 acres of ornamentals and grasses. Specifically, irrigated acreage included citrus (10,860 acres), sod (5,640 acres), pasture (4,580 acres), and potatoes (3,320 acres). Overall, groundwater was used to irrigate 18,350 acres (67 percent of the total acreage), and surface water was used to irrigate the remaining 9,100 acres (33 percent). Microirrigation systems accounted for 45 percent of the total acreage irrigated, flood systems 30 percent, and sprinkler systems the remaining 25 percent. An accurate, detailed, spatially referenced, and field-verified inventory of irrigated crop acreage can be used to assist resource managers making current and future county-level water-use estimates in Osceola County.

Study Area

Additional publication details

Publication type Report
Publication Subtype USGS Numbered Series
Title Agricultural irrigated land-use inventory for Osceola County, Florida, October 2013-April 2014
Series title Open-File Report
Series number 2014-1257
DOI 10.3133/ofr20141257
Year Published 2014
Language English
Publisher U.S. Geological Survey
Publisher location Reston, VA
Contributing office(s) FLWSC-Orlando
Description Report: 8 p.; 1 Appendix
Country United States
State Florida
County Osceola County
Online Only (Y/N) N
Additional Online Files (Y/N) N
Google Analytic Metrics Metrics page