Determination of representative uranium and selenium concentrations from groundwater, 2016, Homestake Mining Company Superfund site, Milan, New Mexico
- Document: Report (6.27 MB pdf)
- Appendix: Appendix 2 (12.6 KB csv) Original and adjusted aqueous uranium concentrations
- Data Release: USGS data release - Data Associated with Uranium Background Concentrations at Homestake Mining Company Superfund Site near Milan, New Mexico, July 2016 through October 2016
- Download citation as: RIS | Dublin Core
In 2016, the U.S. Geological Survey, in cooperation with the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, collected data on isotopes, age dating, and geochemistry including aqueous uranium concentrations of samples from 20 locations in the vicinity of the Homestake Mining Company Superfund site near Milan, New Mexico. The 20 sampled locations include 19 groundwater wells and 1 treatment plant for water used for injection into aquifers. At 6 of the 19 wells, multiple samples were collected by several different sampling methods, including passive, micropurge, and volumetric methods.
Aqueous uranium concentrations were adjusted on the basis of comparisons between three sampling methods (called sample adjustments). These adjustments were specific to passive sample results because they underestimated uranium concentrations compared with results from purge samples (micropurge and volumetric). Sample adjustments were also made on aqueous selenium concentrations from previously published data for passive sampler results following a similar procedure.
Aqueous uranium concentrations in dissolved and total form were adjusted from the original analytical values (called laboratory analytical adjustments) on the basis of a rigorous comparison to several external tests, including reruns and analysis by a different laboratory after accuracy issues were identified in data from the original laboratory. The original laboratory analytical results were found to be two to five times greater than historical concentrations at the same locations, which prompted further evaluation, as described in this report.
Harte, P.T., Blake, J.M., and Becher, K.D., 2018, Determination of representative uranium and selenium concentrations from groundwater, 2016, Homestake Mining Company Superfund site, Milan, New Mexico: U.S. Geological Survey Open-File Report 2018–1055, 40 p., appendixes, https://doi.org/10.3133/ofr20181055.
ISSN: 2331-1258 (online)
Table of Contents
- Methods of Groundwater Sampling, Laboratory Analysis, and Data Evaluation
- Results of Comparison
- Converted Concentrations
- References Cited
- Appendix 1. Depths and Methods of Sampling at the Homestake Mining Company Superfund Site Near Milan, New Mexico
- Appendix 2. Uranium Concentrations Near the Homestake Mining Company Superfund Site Near Milan, New Mexico
- Appendix 3. Uranium Concentrations From a Rerun Analysis by RTI Laboratories, Inc. for the Homestake Mining Company Superfund Site Near Milan, New Mexico
|Publication Subtype||USGS Numbered Series|
|Title||Determination of representative uranium and selenium concentrations from groundwater, 2016, Homestake Mining Company Superfund site, Milan, New Mexico|
|Series title||Open-File Report|
|Publisher||U.S. Geological Survey|
|Publisher location||Reston, VA|
|Contributing office(s)||New England Water Science Center|
|Description||Report: vii, 37 p.; Appendix; Data release|
|Other Geospatial||Homestake Mining Company Superfund Site|
|Online Only (Y/N)||Y|
|Additional Online Files (Y/N)||Y|
|Google Analytic Metrics||Metrics page|