Distribution of Giant Gartersnakes (Thamnophis gigas) in the Sacramento–San Joaquin Delta, California, 2018–2019
- We examined the occurrence of giant gartersnakes in the Sacramento–San Joaquin Delta, California, in 2018 and 2019.
- We made eight captures of seven giant gartersnakes (three females, four males) in 2018, and six captures of six giant gartersnakes (four females, two males) in 2019.
- Detection probabilities were exceedingly low despite using methods that achieve much higher detection probabilities in the rice-growing regions of the Sacramento Valley, California.
- Our results indicated negative effects of salinity and prey abundance and positive effects of percent emergent vegetation on giant gartersnake occurrence in the Delta, but credible intervals of effect sizes broadly overlapped zero.
- Estimates of giant gartersnake probability of occurrence were characterized by substantial uncertainty.
- Additional study with a larger sample of randomly selected but accessible sites would help to further resolve the distribution of giant gartersnakes in the Delta and clarify how the physical and biotic environment in the Delta affects where giant gartersnakes exist.
- Methodological development to increase detection probabilities in the Delta also would improve inference about giant gartersnake occupancy in the region.
Fouts, K.J., Kim, R., Jordan, A.C., Fulton, A.M., Rose, J.P., Ersan, J.S. M., and Halstead, B.J., 2020, Distribution of giant gartersnakes (Thamnophis gigas) in the Sacramento–San Joaquin Delta, California, 2018–2019: U.S. Geological Survey Open-File Report 2020–1119, 26 p., https://doi.org/10.3133/ofr20201119.
ISSN: 2331-1258 (online)
Table of Contents
- References Cited
- Appendix 1 Supplemental Figures
|Publication Subtype||USGS Numbered Series|
|Title||Distribution of giant gartersnakes (Thamnophis gigas) in the Sacramento–San Joaquin Delta, California, 2018–2019|
|Series title||Open-File Report|
|Publisher||U.S. Geological Survey|
|Publisher location||Reston, VA|
|Contributing office(s)||Western Ecological Research Center|
|Description||vi, 26 p.|
|Other Geospatial||Sacramento–San Joaquin Delta|
|Online Only (Y/N)||Y|
|Google Analytics Metrics||Metrics page|