Hydrologic data for urban studies in the Austin, Texas, metropolitan area, 1981
Open-File Report 83-44
- R.M. Slade, J.E. Veenhuis, M.E. Dorsey, Heather Gardiner, and A.E. Smith
Hydro!ogic investigations of urban watersheds in Texas were begun by the U.S. Geological Survey in 1954. Studies are now in progress in Austin, and Houston. Studies have been completed in the Dallas, Fort Worth, and San Antonio areas.
The Geological Survey, in cooperation with the Texas Department of Water Reources, began hydrologic studies in the Austin urban area in 1954. In cooperation with the city of Austin, the program was expanded in 1975 to include additional streamflow and rainfall gaging stations, and the collection of surface water-quality data. In 1978, the program was expanded to include a ground-water resources study of the South Austin metropolitan area in the Balcones Fault Zone.
The objectives of the Austin urban hydrology study are as follows:
- To determine, on the basis of historical data and hydrologic analyses, the magnitude and frequency of flood peaks and flood volume.
- To determine the effect of urban development on flood peaks and volume.
- To determine the variations in water quality during different seasons and flow conditions in representative watersheds under various types of urban development.
- To quantitatively appraise the ground-water resources along the Balcones Fault Zone, the effect of urbanization on the quality and quantity of recharge and discharge, and the extent of contamination in the Edwards aquifer that is is hydrologic circulation with Barton Springs.
This report presents the basic hydroloqic data collected in the Austin urban area for the 1981 water year (Oct. 1, 1980 to Sept. 30, 1981).
Additional explanations of terms related to streamflow, water quality, and other hydrologic data used in this report are defined in the U.S. Geological Survey annual report Water Resources Data for Texas, TX-81-3, 1981.
Additional publication details
- Publication type:
- Publication Subtype:
- USGS Numbered Series
- Hydrologic data for urban studies in the Austin, Texas, metropolitan area, 1981
- Series title:
- Open-File Report
- Series number:
- Year Published:
- U.S. Geological Survey
- Publisher location:
- Austin, TX
- Contributing office(s):
- Texas Water Science Center
- vi, 293 p.
- Online Only (Y/N):
- Additional Online Files (Y/N):