Multibeam bathymetry and selected perspective views offshore San Diego, California
Scientific Investigations Map 2959
- Peter Dartnell, William R. Normark, Neal W. Driscoll, Jeffrey M. Babcock, James V. Gardner, Rikk G. Kvitek, and Pat J. Iampietro
This set of two posters consists of a map on one sheet and a set of seven perspective views on the other. The ocean floor image was generated from multibeam-bathymetry data acquired by Federal and local agencies as well as academic institutions including:
- U.S. Geological Survey mapped from the La Jolla Canyon south to the US-Mexico border using a Kongsberg Simrad multibeam echosounder system (MBES) (March - April 1998). Data and metadata available at http://pubs.usgs.gov/of/2004/1221/.
- Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution and SCRIPPS Institution of Oceanography mapped the majority of the La Jolla Fan Valley including the sea floor to the north and south of the valley using a Seabeam 2100 MBES. Data available at http://www.ngdc.noaa.gov/mgg/bathymetry/multibeam.html. Survey ID, AT07L09, Chief Scientists, Barrie Walden and Joseph Coburn (April 2002).
- California State University, Monterey Bay, mapped Scripps Canyon and the head of La Jolla Canyon using a Reson 8101 MBES (October 2001). Data and metadata available at http://seafloor.csumb.edu/SFMLwebDATA.htm. This work was funded by the California Department of Fish and Game California Coastal Conservancy, San Diego Association of Governments (SANDAG), California Department of Fish and Game, and Fugro Pelagos mapped the nearshore region out to about 35-40 m.
- The sea floor within this image that has not been mapped with MBES is filled in with interpreted bathymetry gridded from single-beam data available at http://www.ngdc.noaa.gov/mgg/bathymetry/hydro.html. Depths are in meters below sea level, which is referenced to Mean Lower Low Water.
Additional publication details
- Publication type:
- Publication Subtype:
- USGS Numbered Series
- Multibeam bathymetry and selected perspective views offshore San Diego, California
- Series title:
- Scientific Investigations Map
- Series number:
- Version 1.0
- Year Published:
- U.S. Geological Survey
- Publisher location:
- Reston, VA
- Contributing office(s):
- Coastal and Marine Geology Program
- 2 Sheets: 30.0 x 36.0 inches and 30.0 x 30.0 inches
- United States
- San Diego
- Universal Transverse Mercator projection