2014 volcanic activity in Alaska: Summary of events and response of the Alaska Volcano Observatory
Scientific Investigations Report 2017-5077
The Alaska Volcano Observatory is a cooperative program of the U.S. Geological Survey, University of Alaska Fairbanks Geophysical Institute, and the Alaska Division of Geological & Geophysical Surveys. The Alaska Volcano Observatory is funded by the U.S. Geological Survey Volcano Hazards Program and the State of Alaska.
- Cheryl E. Cameron, James P. Dixon, Christina A. Neal, Christopher F. Waythomas, Janet R. Schaefer, and Robert G. McGimsey
The Alaska Volcano Observatory (AVO) responded to eruptions, possible eruptions, volcanic unrest or suspected unrest, and seismic events at 18 volcanic centers in Alaska during 2014. The most notable volcanic activity consisted of intermittent ash eruptions from long-active Cleveland and Shishaldin Volcanoes in the Aleutian Islands, and two eruptive episodes at Pavlof Volcano on the Alaska Peninsula. Semisopochnoi and Akutan volcanoes had seismic swarms, both likely the result of magmatic intrusion. The AVO also installed seismometers and infrasound instruments at Mount Cleveland during 2014.
Cameron, C.E., Dixon, J.P., Neal, C.A., Waythomas, C.F., Schaefer, J.R., and McGimsey, R.G., 2017, 2014 Volcanic activity in Alaska—Summary of events and response of the Alaska Volcano Observatory: U.S. Geological Survey Scientific Investigations Report 2017–5077, 81 p., https://doi.org/10.3133/sir20175077.
ISSN: 2328-0328 (online)
Table of Contents
- Volcanic Activity In Alaska, Northeast to Southwest Along Aleutian Arc
- References Cited
- Glossary of Selected Terms and Acronyms
- Appendix 1. Volcano Alert Levels and Aviation Color Codes Used by United States Volcano Observatories
Additional publication details
- Publication type:
- Publication Subtype:
- USGS Numbered Series
- 2014 volcanic activity in Alaska: Summary of events and response of the Alaska Volcano Observatory
- Series title:
- Scientific Investigations Report
- Series number:
- Year Published:
- U.S. Geological Survey
- Publisher location:
- Reston, VA
- Contributing office(s):
- Volcano Science Center
- vii, 81 p.
- United States
- Online Only (Y/N):