- Document: Report (pdf)
- Table 1.1 (.xlsx format) (34.6 kB xlsx) — Summary of water-surface elevations and depths at selected structures in the city of De Soto, Missouri, for 1- and 0.2-percent annual exceedance probability streamflows
- Table 1.1 (.csv format) (18.2 kB csv) — Summary of water-surface elevations and depths at selected structures in the city of De Soto, Missouri, for 1- and 0.2-percent annual exceedance probability streamflows
- Dataset: U.S. Geological Survey National Water Information System database — USGS water data for the Nation
- Data Releases:
- USGS data release — PeakFQ software input files and selected output files for selected long-term streamgages near Jefferson County, Missouri, through water year 2019
- USGS data release — Geospatial data and model archive associated with the two-dimensional hydraulic analysis of Joachim Creek, De Soto, Missouri
- Download citation as: RIS | Dublin Core
A two-dimensional hydraulic model; water-surface profiles; and digital maps of water-surface elevation, velocities, and water depths were developed for a 6.7-mile reach of Joachim Creek within and near the city of De Soto, Missouri. Water-surface profiles were generated for the 10-, 4-, 2-, 1-, and 0.2-percent annual exceedance probability (10-, 25-, 50-, 100-, and 500-year recurrence interval) flows. Digital maps of water-surface elevation, water depth, and velocity were generated for the 1- and 0.2-percent annual exceedance probability flows. Water-surface elevations and inundation extents of generated profiles and maps were substantially lower than similar products produced for the 2019 flood-insurance study that included the study reach. The differences in water-surface elevations can be attributed to differences in input streamflows and hydraulic simulation techniques.
The water-surface elevations generated for the 1- and 0.2-percent annual exceedance probability flows were used to assess the vulnerability and inundation depths of 231 selected structures within the city of De Soto. Results indicate that 157 to 177 of the 231 structures were affected at the 1-percent annual exceedance probability flow, depending on the adjacent grade elevation used for reference. Between 185 and 198 structures were affected at the 0.2-percent annual exceedance probability flow, depending on grade elevation. Inundation depths at the affected structures were 0.02 to 9.28 feet (ft), depending on the flow and adjacent grade reference.
Flood elevations were computed for Joachim Creek using a two-dimensional, finite-volume numerical modeling application for river hydraulics. The hydraulic model was calibrated using high-water marks from the April 18, 2013, flood and the maximum measured streamflow at the U.S. Geological Survey streamgage Joachim Creek at De Soto, Mo. (station 07019500), on September 8, 2018. The calibrated model was then used to compute the hydraulic conditions associated with the 10-, 4-, 2-, 1-, and 0.2-percent annual exceedance probability flows. The simulated water-surface elevations and digital elevation model (derived from light detection and ranging data having a 0.60-ft vertical accuracy and a 1.97-ft horizontal resolution) were used to generate products including water-surface profiles and maps of inundated area, water depth, and velocities using model postprocessing software.
Hix, K.D., Rydlund, P.H., and Heimann, D.C., 2021, Two-dimensional hydraulic analyses of Joachim Creek, De Soto, Missouri: U.S. Geological Survey Scientific Investigations Report 2021–5058, 28 p., https://doi.org/10.3133/sir20215058.
ISSN: 2328-0328 (online)
Table of Contents
- Development of Hydraulic Model
- References Cited
- Appendix 1
|Publication Subtype||USGS Numbered Series|
|Title||Two-dimensional hydraulic analyses of Joachim Creek, De Soto, Missouri|
|Series title||Scientific Investigations Report|
|Publisher||U.S. Geological Survey|
|Publisher location||Reston, VA|
|Contributing office(s)||Central Midwest Water Science Center|
|Description||Report: viii, 28 p.; Appendix; 2 Data Releases; Dataset|
|Other Geospatial||Joachim Creek|
|Online Only (Y/N)||Y|
|Additional Online Files (Y/N)||Y|
|Google Analytic Metrics||Metrics page|