Water use in Wisconsin, 1979

Water-Resources Investigations Report 82-444
Prepared in cooperation with the Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources
By:  and 



This report summarizes the uses of water in Wisconsin for 1979, except aesthetics, navigation, and recreational use.

The greatest single use of water, an instream use, was for hydroelectric power production. About 26 trillion gallons, or 93 percent, was used for this purpose. Of the other 7 percent where water is pumped to a different location, 81 percent (6 percent of all water use) was cooling water for thermoelectric powerplants.

Withdrawals of surface water and ground water by public and private systems are for residential, industrial, commercial, irrigation, and stock uses.

Study Area

Publication type Report
Publication Subtype USGS Numbered Series
Title Water use in Wisconsin, 1979
Series title Water-Resources Investigations Report
Series number 82-444
DOI 10.3133/wri82444
Year Published 1982
Language English
Publisher U.S. Geological Survey
Contributing office(s) Wisconsin Water Science Center
Description iv, 102 p.
Country United States
State Wisconsin
Online Only (Y/N) N
Additional Online Files (Y/N) N
Google Analytic Metrics Metrics page
Additional publication details