Water resources in the vicinity of municipalities on the eastern Mesabi Iron Range and the Vermillion Iron Range, northeastern Minnesota
Water Supply Paper 1759-F
Prepared in cooperation with the Minnesota Department of Iron Range Resources and Rehabilitation
- R.D. Cotter , H.L. Young , L.R. Petri , and C.H. Prior
- Document: Document (pdf)
- Plate: Plate 1 (pdf)
- Preceding Publications:
- Water resources in the vicinity of municipalities on the Eastern Mesabi Iron Range and the Vermilion Iron Range, northeastern Minnesota (1963)
- Download citation as: RIS | Dublin Core
Additional supplies of water are available near the municipalities on the eastern Mesabi Iron Range and the Vermilion Iron Range. On the eastern Mesabi Range the potential for additional development of both ground-water and surface-water supplies are good, and on the Vermilion Range the best potential for development is from surface-water resources.
The most productive aquifers in the area of this report are the Biwabik Iron-Formation and the stratified glacial drift; Bast of Colby Lake the Biwabik Iron-Formation is not an important aquifer, and it is entirely absent on the Vermilion Range. Also, on the Vermilion Range the glacial drift is generally too thin to yield the quantities of water found on the Mesabi Range.
Surface-water supplies in the area of this report are good. An extensive network of river systems and many lakes form a large untapped potential supply. Records of flow from eight gaging stations are presented as are data from many wells and test holes.
Ground water commonly has a high concentration of iron and manganese and is hard. Surface water generally has a high concentration of iron and is colored. Analyses of water from many sources are included.
Additional publication details
- Publication type:
- Publication Subtype:
- USGS Numbered Series
- Water resources in the vicinity of municipalities on the eastern Mesabi Iron Range and the Vermillion Iron Range, northeastern Minnesota
- Series title:
- Water Supply Paper
- Series number:
- Year Published:
- U.S. Government Printing Office
- Publisher location:
- Washington, D.C.
- Contributing office(s):
- Minnesota Water Science Center
- Document: iv, 27 p.; Plate: 31.18 x 23.60 inches
- United States
- Online Only (Y/N):
- Additional Online Files (Y/N):