Each mineral commodity chapter of the 2021 edition of the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS) Mineral Commodity Summaries (MCS) includes information on events, trends, and issues for each mineral commodity as well as discussions and tabular presentations on domestic industry structure, Government programs, tariffs, 5-year salient statistics, and world production and resources. The MCS is the earliest comprehensive source of 2020 mineral production data for the world. More than 90 individual minerals and materials are covered by 2-page synopses.
For mineral commodities for which there is a Government stockpile, detailed information concerning the stockpile status is included in the 2-page synopsis.
Abbreviations and units of measure and definitions of selected terms used in the report are in Appendix A and Appendix B, respectively. Reserves and resources information is in Appendix C, which includes “Part A—Resource and Reserve Classification for Minerals” and “Part B—Sources of Reserves Data.” A directory of USGS minerals information country specialists and their responsibilities is in Appendix D.
The USGS continually strives to improve the value of its publications to users. Constructive comments and suggestions by readers of the MCS 2021 are welcomed.
U.S. Geological Survey, 2021, Mineral commodity summaries 2021: U.S. Geological Survey, 200 p., https://doi.org/10.3133/mcs2021.
Table of Contents
- Figure 1—The Role of Nonfuel Minerals in the U.S. Economy
- Significant Events, Trends, and Issues
- Figure 2—2020 U.S. Net Import Reliance
- Figure 3—Major Import Sources of Nonfuel Mineral Commodities for which the United States was greater than 50% Net Import Reliant in 2020
- Table 1—U.S. Mineral Industry Trends
- Table 2—U.S. Mineral-Related Economic Trends
- Table 3—Value of Nonfuel Mineral Production in the United States and Principal Nonfuel Minerals Produced in 2020
- Figure 4—Value of Nonfuel Minerals Produced in 2020, by State
- Figure 5—Value of Metals and Metallic Minerals Produced in 2020, by Region
- Figure 6—Value of Other Industrial Minerals Produced in 2020, by Region
- Figure 7—Value of Crushed Stone Produced in 2020, by State
- Figure 8—Value of Construction Sand and Gravel Produced in 2020, by State
- Mineral Commodities
- Appendix A—Abbreviations and Units of Measure
- Appendix B—Definitions of Selected Terms Used in This Report
- Appendix C—Reserves and Resources
- Appendix D—Country Specialists Directory
|Publication Subtype||USGS Unnumbered Series|
|Title||Mineral commodity summaries 2021|
|Series title||Mineral Commodity Summaries|
|Publisher||U.S. Geological Survey|
|Publisher location||Reston, VA|
|Contributing office(s)||National Minerals Information Center|
|Online Only (Y/N)||N|
|Additional Online Files (Y/N)||N|
|Google Analytic Metrics||Metrics page|