Preliminary report upon a reconnaissance through southern and southeastern Nevada, made in 1869
- George Montague Wheeler and D.W. Lockwood
By authority from headquarters Military Division of the Pacific, Lieut. George M. Wheeler, United States Engineers, will proceed with his civil assistants and three enlisted men to either Camps Halleck or Ruby, Nevada, and having been joined by Lieut. D.W. Lockwood, United States Engineers, now en route via Fort Churchill, will there organize a party, to consist of two-non-commissioned officers and twenty-three enlisted men, (cavalry, or infantry mounted,) such drivers, packers, and guides as may be required; equip them with the necessary, full, and complete outfit, as far as the resources of the posts will enable him so to do; after which he will proceed, via the White Pine district, to make a thorough and careful reconnaissance of the district of country to the south and east of White Pine, extending thereto from the White Pine or Grant district, of obtaining correct data for a military map of the country, and for the selection of the site or sites for such military post or posts to cover the mining country south and east of White Pine from hostile Indians, as may be required. Such explorations and examinations as may will be made in reference to the physical geography of the country, its resources in wood, water, agricultural or mineral productions.
The character, habits, and numbers of Indian tribes, and their dispositions toward settlers and miners, will be subjects for investigations.
Additional publication details
- Publication type:
- Publication Subtype:
- Federal Government Series
- Preliminary report upon a reconnaissance through southern and southeastern Nevada, made in 1869
- Series title:
- Annual Report
- U.S. Geographical Surveys West of the One Hundredth Meridian
- Year Published:
- U.S. Government Printing Office
- Publisher location:
- Washington, D.C.
- 72 p.
- Public Comments:
- Under the orders of Brigadier General E.O.C. Ord, Brevet Major General U.S. Army, commanding Department of California. This report is the Annual Report for 1869.
- United States
- Online Only (Y/N):
- Additional Online Files (Y/N):