Mineral resource of the month: sulfur




Since domestic sulfur production peaked at nearly 11 million metric tons in 1974, the sulfur industry has undergone dramatic change. In 1974, mined sulfur produced using the Frasch hot water method provided 8 million tons of sulfur, representing 75 percent of total elemental sulfur production. (In the Frasch process, hot water is injected directly into the sulfur-containing mineral strata, melting the crystalline sulfur, which then lifts to the surface with air.) The remaining 25 percent was produced as byproduct sulfur.
Publication type Article
Publication Subtype Journal Article
Title Mineral resource of the month: sulfur
Series title Geotimes
Volume 2003
Issue July
Year Published 2003
Language English
Publisher AGI
Contributing office(s) National Minerals Information Center
Description HTML Document
Larger Work Type Article
Larger Work Subtype Journal Article
Larger Work Title Geotimes
Google Analytic Metrics Metrics page
Additional publication details