Temporal genetic population structure and interannual variation in migration behavior of Pacific Lamprey Entosphenus tridentatus

Hydrobiologia
By: , and 

Links

Abstract

Studies using neutral loci suggest that Pacific lamprey, Entosphenus tridentatus, lack strong spatial genetic population structure. However, it is unknown whether temporal genetic population structure exists. We tested whether adult Pacific lamprey: (1) show temporal genetic population structure; and (2) migrate different distances between years. We non-lethally sampled lamprey for DNA in 2009 and 2010 and used eight microsatellite loci to test for genetic population structure. We used telemetry to record the migration behaviors of these fish. Lamprey were assignable to three moderately differentiated genetic clusters (FST = 0.16–0.24 for all pairwise comparisons): one cluster was composed of individuals from 2009, and the other two contained individuals from 2010. The FST value between years was 0.13 and between genetic clusters within 2010 was 0.20. A total of 372 (72.5%) fish were detected multiple times during their migrations. Most fish (69.9%) remained in the mainstem Willamette River; the remaining 30.1% migrated into tributaries. Eighty-two lamprey exhibited multiple back-and-forth movements among tributaries and the mainstem, which may indicate searching behaviors. All migration distances were significantly greater in 2010, when the amplitude of river discharge was greater. Our data suggest genetic structuring between and within years that may reflect different cohorts.

Study Area

Additional publication details

Publication type Article
Publication Subtype Journal Article
Title Temporal genetic population structure and interannual variation in migration behavior of Pacific Lamprey Entosphenus tridentatus
Series title Hydrobiologia
DOI 10.1007/s10750-017-3096-4
Volume 794
Issue 1
Year Published 2017
Language English
Publisher Springer
Contributing office(s) Coop Res Unit Seattle
Description 18 p.
First page 223
Last page 240
Country United States
State Oregon
Other Geospatial Willamette River Basin