Artificial Recharge at Valley City, North Dakota, 1932 to 1965
Valley City, North Dakota, has an average daily water use of 750,000 gallons, which is obtained from wells tapping pattly confined gravel deposits in the Sheyenne River valley. These deposits at Valley City have a maximum thickness of more than 50 feet and an areal extent of approximately 1 square mile. The aquifer has been artificially recharged successfully since 1932 by diversion of water from the Sheyenne River to an abandoned gravel pit. During this time the piezometric surface in the aquifer has been raised more than 22 feet.
Prior to 1958, the recharge system was operated from January until June; however, when the piezometric surface rose to within about 8 feet of the surface, the recharge operation was discontinued. Between June and January the piezometric surface declined as ground water was withdrawn. During the recharge‐discharge cycle, the average annual fluctuation of the piezometric surface was 10 feet, amounting to a change in storage of about 1,000 acre‐feet of water. Since 1958, the recharge system has been operated throughout the year. There has been a gradual improvement in the quality of the water in the aquifer since the installation of the recharge system.
Additional publication details
|Publication Subtype||Journal Article|
|Title||Artificial Recharge at Valley City, North Dakota, 1932 to 1965|
|Contributing office(s)||North Dakota Water Science Center, Dakota Water Science Center|
|Google Analytic Metrics||Metrics page|