Geologic studies in Alaska by the U.S. Geological Survey, 1993
- Edited by:
- Alison B. Till and Thomas E. Moore
- Document: Document (pdf)
- High stand and catastrophic draining of intracaldera Surprise Lake, Aniakchak volcano, Alaska: A section in Geologic studies in Alaska by the U.S. Geological Survey, 1993
- Possible active fault traces on or near the Castle Mountain fault between Houston and the Hatcher Pass Road: A section in RGeologic studies in Alaska by the U.S. Geological Survey, 1993
- Paper version: In stock and available from the USGS Store
- Download citation as: RIS
This collection of 19 papers continues the annual series of U.S. Geological Survey reports on geologic investigations in Alaska. Contributions include 14 Articles and 5 shorter Geologic Notes that report results from all corners of the State.
USGS activities in Alaska cover a broad spectrum of earth science topics, including the environment, hazards, resources, and geologic framework studies. Three articles focus on the environmental geochemistry of parts of south-central, west-central, and southwestern Alaska. An article on methane released from permafrost near Fairbanks and a note on paleowind direction indicators on the Arctic coastal plain contribute to ongoing climate and paleoclimate investigations. Landslide hazards in the Talkeetna Mountains and Wrangell-St. Elias National Park are discussed in two notes. Possible active fault traces near Alaska's main population center are described in an article on the Castle Mountain fault. An article on Aniakchak volcano presents evidence for a previously unrecognized catastrophic flooding event. Resources and resource assessment on gold, base metals, and coal are discussed in several articles and a note. Geologic framework studies cover tectonics, paleontology, stratigraphy, and metamorphic petrology. One contribution involves field methods; it evaluates the relative accuracy of global positioning systems and topographic map-based methods for deriving location data for field stations.
Two bibliographies at the end of the volume list reports about Alaska in USGS publications released in 1993 and reports about Alaska by USGS authors in non-USGS publications in 1993.
Additional publication details
- Publication type:
- Publication Subtype:
- USGS Numbered Series
- Geologic studies in Alaska by the U.S. Geological Survey, 1993
- Series title:
- Series number:
- Year Published:
- U.S. Government Printing Office
- Publisher location:
- Washington, D.C.
- Contributing office(s):
- Alaska Science Center, Geology, Minerals, Energy, and Geophysics Science Center
- vi, 217 p.
- United States