Earthquake forecast for the Wasatch Front region of the Intermountain West

Fact Sheet 2016-3019
Prepared in cooperation with the Utah Geological Survey, URS Corporation, University of Utah Seismograph Stations, and University of Utah.
By:

Links

Abstract

The Working Group on Utah Earthquake Probabilities has assessed the probability of large earthquakes in the Wasatch Front region. There is a 43 percent probability of one or more magnitude 6.75 or greater earthquakes and a 57 percent probability of one or more magnitude 6.0 or greater earthquakes in the region in the next 50 years. These results highlight the threat of large earthquakes in the region.

Suggested Citation

DuRoss, C.B., 2016, Earthquake forecast for the Wasatch Front region of the Intermountain West: U.S. Geological Survey Fact Sheet 2016–3019, 2 p., http://doi.dx.org/10.3133/fs20163019.

ISSN: 2327-6932 (online)

Study Area

Table of Contents

  • Wasatch Front Region Earthquake Forecast
  • Consequences of Future Earthquakes
  • References Cited

Additional publication details

Publication type Report
Publication Subtype USGS Numbered Series
Title Earthquake forecast for the Wasatch Front region of the Intermountain West
Series title Fact Sheet
Series number 2016-3019
DOI 10.3133/fs20163019
Year Published 2016
Language English
Publisher U.S. Geological Survey
Publisher location Reston, VA
Contributing office(s) Geologic Hazards Science Center
Description 2 p.
Country United States
State Utah
Other Geospatial Wasatch Front Region
Online Only (Y/N) Y
Additional Online Files (Y/N) N