Libraries program

General Information Product 125

Links

Abstract

The U.S. Congress authorized a library for the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS) in 1879. The library was formally established in 1882 with the naming of the first librarian and began with a staff of three and a collection of 1,400 books. Today, the USGS Libraries Program is one of the world's largest Earth and natural science repositories and a resource of national significance used by researchers and the public worldwide.

Additional publication details

Publication type Report
Publication Subtype USGS Numbered Series
Title Libraries program
Series title General Information Product
Series number 125
DOI 10.3133/gip125
Edition -
Year Published 2011
Language ENGLISH
Publisher U.S. Geological Survey
Contributing office(s) U.S. Geological Survey
Description 2 p.
Online Only (Y/N) N
Additional Online Files (Y/N) N