This report reviews progress made during 1968 in the continuing Joint Haden Tetkik ve Arama Enstitusu (MSA)-U. S. Geological Survey (USGS) Mineral Exploration and Training Project, Subproject 2. Subproject 2 is concerned with aeromagnetic interpretation of MTA's aeromagnetic surveys, and ground investigations of selected aeromagnetic anomalies. This report includes new aeromagnetic maps for the Bolu, Canakkale-Karabiga, Demirkoy, and Orhaneli areas and reviews ground investigations in five areas. Activities for each area are sunmarized below:
1. Bolu area: The aeromagnetic map shows two belts of anomalies related to regional magnetite-bearing formations and a group of discrete anomalies, some of which may reflect significant concentrations of magnetite. To date three of these anomalies have been checked on the ground and at one a metamorphic rock containing 14 percent magnetite was observed.
2. Canakkale-Karabiga area: Ground checks were made of six aeromagnetic anomalies. At one locality (Cakirly-Koyu) 6 km south of Nazmara Sea a small magnetite deposit was found. The magnetic anomaly over the area is 150 meters long, and about 3 meters deep in the center of the anomaly exposed massive magnetite boulders.
3. Demirkoy area: The aeromagnetic map shows only one significant anomaly which was checked on the ground and found to be caused by minor magnetite at an intrusive contact.
4. Ezine area: A ground survey of 4.5 sq km area was made where magnetite boulders are locally present on the surface. No significant magnetic anomaly or iron mineralization were found.
5. Orhaneli area: The aeromagnetic map o# the area showed regional magnetic anomaly patterns related to magnetite in mafic intrusives, ultramafic rocks, and mafic flow rocks. In addition 16 localized anomalies were identified. Most of these anomalies were checked on the ground but no significant iron deposits were found.
The largest deposit found was a one-meter wide magnetite vein. During the 1969 field season further investigation of anomalies in the Bolu and Orhaneli areas is planned.
Additional publication details
USGS Numbered Series
Aeromagnetic interpretation and mineral investigations in the Bolu, Canakkale-Karabiga, Demirkoy, Ezine, and Orhaneli areas of northwestern Turkey in 1968
U.S. Geological Survey],
iv, 16a leaves :maps (some folded, some col.) ;27 cm.