- Document: Report (3.70 MB pdf)
- Figure 15 Animation (51.0 MB) — Monthly mean streamflow animation for the watershed of the Susquehanna River, upstream from Harrisburg, Pennsylvania.
- Figure 16 Animation (56.6 MB) — Monthly base-flow index (BFI) animation for the watershed of the Susquehanna River, upstream from Harrisburg, Pennsylvania.
- Figure 17 Animation (45.2 MB) — Monthly mean streamflow animation for the nontidal Chesapeake Bay watershed outside of the Susquehanna watershed.
- Figure 18 Animation (56.7 MB) — Monthly base-flow index animation for the nontidal Chesapeake Bay watershed outside of the Susquehanna watershed.
- Dataset: USGS water data for the Nation — National Water Information System database
- Data Release: USGS data release — Datasets and scripts used for estimating streamflow and base flow within the nontidal Chesapeake Bay riverine system, water years 2006–15
- Download citation as: RIS | Dublin Core
Daily mean streamflow was estimated for all the nontidal parts of the Chesapeake Bay riverine system with the Unit Flows in Networks of Channels computer application using measured streamflow at the most downstream gage of selected rivers. The streamflows estimated by the Unit Flows in Networks of Channels computer application were aggregated at the 12-digit Hydrologic Unit Code level, after which base flow was estimated by two hydrograph-separation methods. Based on six sites selected for comparison, modeled streamflows are typically within an order of magnitude of measured streamflows, and monthly mean streamflows are in better agreement than daily streamflows. For the six selected sites, the base-flow values calculated by the two hydrograph-separation methods were compared. The monthly base-flow values also were in better agreement than the daily base-flow values. The modeled data were animated to better visualize spatial and temporal variability of streamflow and base-flow index.
Buffington, P.C., and Capel, P.D., 2020, Estimating streamflow and base flow within the nontidal Chesapeake Bay riverine system: U.S. Geological Survey Scientific Investigations Report 2020–5055, 26 p., https://doi.org/10.3133/sir20205055.
ISSN: 2328-0328 (online)
Table of Contents
- Results and Discussion
- References Cited
Additional publication details
|Publication Subtype||USGS Numbered Series|
|Title||Estimating streamflow and base flow within the nontidal Chesapeake Bay riverine system|
|Series title||Scientific Investigations Report|
|Publisher||U.S. Geological Survey|
|Publisher location||Reston, VA|
|Contributing office(s)||WMA - Integrated Modeling and Prediction Division|
|Description||Report: v, 26 p.; Figure Animations: Figures 15–18; Data Release|
|State||Delaware, Maryland, New York, Pennsylvania, Virginia, West Virginia|
|Online Only (Y/N)||Y|
|Additional Online Files (Y/N)||Y|
|Google Analytic Metrics||Metrics page|